Friday, February 4, 2011

A Collective Summary from The Day

Well hello! Time again to write another blog! There were several things I thought about yesterday (it was really quite a LONG day hahaha) that I really would like to just write down and kind of collect into one little spot. Sound good? Good.

Yesterday I saw the Vagina Monologues. Yes, I didn't stutter. The VAGINA Monologues. One of the best things I've ever seen. It really made me think - was there such a taboo around the world "vagina"? The Vagina Monologues consisted of stories from several different types of women - young girls, the elderly, the wounded, and they even had a mangina! It was all about celebrating the beauty and diversity of ye olde vagina - really, I mostly just remember going there cause I heard it was funny. But it really made me think...these stories describe REAL LIFE problems! And I LOVED hearing those stories. There were stories full of curiosity, of genuine pain, of extreme highs and lows. I wanted to tell everyone I knew about what I had felt and heard at the Vagina Monologues!

Sadly, the people I wanted to tell really didn't want to listen to me. It's too much of a taboo..."You shouldn't be thinking about things down there" and "That's really weird." How can it be weird WHEN YOU FREAKING HAVE ONE?!?!?! It's not going to go away!

This brings me to another point that bothered me today. I have no classification, and it bothers me. I am Mormon and dang proud of it! But the way I was raised makes it hard for me to fit in, and I feel like a genuine outsider sometimes. I was raised in more of a spiritual than religious home. My father, for most of my life, did not actively practice really any religion. I knew he believed in God, and that was good enough. Ever since he met with Jewel, my stepmom, he has become more of what I call the "Christian Buddhist" just because I really have no idea what they're really called. I have never been happier and more proud of my father, because he is happier now that he has found Jewel and his new religion. My mother was LDS, but did things her own way without caring what other people thought of it. And I was caught in between! I am eternally grateful for my upbringing because it has kept me open to almost everything, and yet still able to keep and maintain those standards I love the most. But there are some days where I want to be myself so badly, but I can't. I know this is mostly probably just in my head, but I also know that there are real aspects of the story that remind me everyday that I'm not like the people I love. The Vagina Monologues are a good example. I tried to talk to my friends about it - all my friends - and some of them received it well! Like my roommates, for example. But once I brought it up with certain friends...you could forget it. It breaks my heart sometimes. But I guess that's what I get for going to a liberal arts school! I never regret who I am and what I believe - I love it all!

So I'm super excited for tomorrow - I'M GOING CAMPING!!!!!!!! Yes, best ward activity ever! Although the weather is crap, I'm excited to get out in it and just enjoy time spent with good friends of mine (don't worry, I won't be bringing up the Monologues). This will be a weekend worth remembering hopefully!!!

So here comes the time for me to list five positive things about the previous day...here we go!

1. I got to talk to an old friend
2. I was able to celebrate in my womanhood!
3. I was able to wheedle my homework into a more manageable size
4. Got to hang out with some great friends
5. I have the Lord in my life :)

Have a wonderful day!
-Bug

No comments:

Post a Comment